Chatter – Build & code your own encrypted wireless communicator
Chatter is a free, private, security-first texting device.
It comes in a pair because texting yourself is not as fun as you think.
Initially, we wanted to make a walkie-talkie. Then we figured out that nobody speaks on the phone these days and messengers with emojis and GIFs rule the world… and memes of course.
Unlike your regular phone, this device does not need a cellular network or a SIM card to work because it creates its own wireless network and communicates with other Chatter devices you’ve paired it with.
It uses the so-called “LoRa” low-power wide-area network technology in order to send text messages, emojis, memes, and GIFs.
Chatter uses a publicly-available set of frequencies that are allocated for use cases like this one.
The messages you send to other Chatter devices are encrypted and are not passing through an internet service provider so you can share as many secrets as you want with your friends (maybe we should’ve programmed a pinky swear button).
This device is not a replacement for your regular phone and has the range of an average walkie talkie – around 1 – 7km depending on the surrounding area (concrete buildings and basements are usually not a good spot for getting a good range with this thing) but it can prove useful in certain situations.
The main purpose of Chatter is education and showing people that you can communicate free and remotely without big corporations and the internet.
What you’ll get:
- Chatter’s circuit board with a built-in network communication module
- Display board – 128*160 TFT color display
- Li-Po battery
- Acrylic casing
- A bag of other small components such as resistors and pushbuttons
- An instruction booklet – ready for your offline knowledge consumption
What you’ll learn:
- How to assemble your very own private texting machine
- What privacy means in the year 2020 and how you can digitally communicate without using the internet
- How LoRa works
- How Chatter encrypts/decrypts messages and pairs with other Chatters
- How to code and load custom apps onto your Chatter
What you can do with it:
- Text your friends for free
- Load custom emojis and memes on the device (you don’t want to be a normy, this thing needs to be updated regularly)
- Code a jumping dinosaur game for your Chatter
- Play the preloaded snake game on it