Spencer – Build & code your own voice assistant
Spencer is a DIY voice assistant that talks, lights-up, connects to the internet, and understands simple voice commands.
He also has a funny personality, tells jokes, and finds new ones online.
Spencer has a microphone and understands what you say (like, REALLY understands).
You can code new functions that will be triggered when you say certain sentences or words.
The LED display on his belly has an LED grid consisting of 144 pixels that can show data, custom icons, animations, and scrolling text.
Some out-of-the-box things Spencer can do as soon as you assemble him:
- Tell you the weather forecast for your area
- Tell you a joke
- Memorize the things you say
- Sing a song
- Set an Alarm or reminder
- Show animations
What you’ll get in the Box:
- Spencer’s circuit board that includes a pre-soldered 144-pixel LED grid
- The brain board – does smart stuff and includes a dual-core processor, a 16 MB flash memory chip, and power-management circuitry
- 4GB Micro SD card needed for Spencer to work properly
- Acrylic casing – this protects spencer’s innards from the outside world A big red button
- A bag of other small components such as resistors and pushbuttons
- A Micro USB cable for powering your Spencer
- A Speaker
- An instruction booklet – ready for your offline knowledge consumption
What you’ll learn:
- How to solder and assemble your very own personal voice assistant
- How to code a microcomputer and make it do smart things such as voice recognition
- What is IoT and how to connect your microcontroller to the internet
- How to use an LED grid to display things
- What is artificial intelligence and how to make Spencer smart
- How to use voice synthesis in order to make Spencer talk
- How to teach Spencer more corny jokes
What you can do with it:
- Make spencer fetch news from the internet and read them in his funny robot voice
- Code spencer to display a funny 8-bit picture of a banana on his LED display every time someone Tweets something funny
- Teach spencer to recognize basic voice commands
- Make Spencer happy or sad (we’ve implemented a tiny bit anxiety in his base firmware, that’s why you need to talk to him)
With the first STEM Box, you’ll get all the tools you’ll ever need!
With your first STEM Box, we’ll give you a free tools box worth $39 in retail.
We’ve created this toolbox based on our customers’ needs and wishes by carefully picking all the essential general-purpose tools you’ll need to get into electronics.
With these tools, you’ll be able to assemble all of the STEM Boxes you’ll get in the future.
This is what you’ll get in the tools box:
1) USB soldering iron (lightweight and portable, solder on the go!)
2) Solder sucker
3) Phillips Screwdriver
4) 2A USB power brick for powering your soldering iron
5) Needle nose pliers
6) Diagonal cutter pliers
7) Metal soldering iron stand
8) Some solder
9) USB cable for the soldering iron